July 25, 2013 by Piece of Pie and a Dash of DIY
I’m baaacccckkk!! Well for now. I’ve been enjoying the summer with my family, so writing a blog hasn’t been high on the priority list. However I’m returning just to share this recipe, that’s how much I loved it! I should be back to a more regular schedule soon. School will be starting before we know it!! 😦
I’m not from Philly, never been there, never had an “authentic” philly cheese steak. I’m sure some native would inform me that my idea of this sandwich is all wrong. None the less, I love the midwestern version and that’s how I chose the ingredients!
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 lb. roast beef, chopped
2 medium green bell peppers, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. grapeseed or olive oil
2 tbsp. worchestershire
2 10.5 oz. cans of cream of mushroom soup
10 to 12 oz. egg noodles, cooked( I used about 2/3 of a 16 oz. bag)
4 oz. velveeta, cubed
10 slices or 8 oz. shredded provolone cheese
salt and pepper
1. Put oil in skillet and turn to medium heat.
2. Boil water for noodles, cook according to package directions.
3. Add peppers to hot oil and cook for two minutes, add onions and cook an additional two minutes.
4. Next add garlic(powder), worchestershire, salt and pepper to veggies and cook for one minute more.
5. When noodles are done, mix noodles, soups, cubed velveeta, veggies and beef together and pour into casserole dish(be sure to coat with nonstick spray.)
6. Top with sliced or shredded provolone and cook at 400 for approximately 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and brown. (every oven is different, you may need to turn up the heat to 425, my oven tends to cook quicker than suggested cook times)
Please don’t buy pre-packaged roast beef for this dish! Go to the deli and have the butcher thickly slice premium roast beef. You could probably substitute a thin steak(don’t overcook) or ground beef. Although my opinion is the roast beef is the way to go!! And PLEASE don’t skip the worchestershire, it makes the dish!!!
This casserole would easily serve 4 adults. It makes a lot, but it’s delicious as leftovers!!
I mixed in a 1/4 cup sliced jalapenos and spicy mustard for an extra zing!
I don’t have a picture, but I promise you this dish is delish! 😀
Until next time…